PMFLIST Archives

June 2020

From:
Tony Cundell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 2020 13:49:58 -0400
Digvijay,

This is the guidance found in USP <1117> Microbiological Laboratory Best
Practices:

MICROBIOLOGICAL MEDIA INCUBATION TIMES
Incubation times for microbiological tests of less than 3 days' duration
should be expressed in hours: e.g., “Incubate at 30° to 35° for 18 to 72
hours”. Tests longer than 72 hours' duration should be expressed in days:
e.g., “Incubate at 30° to 35° for 3 to 5 days”. For incubation times
expressed in hours, incubate for the minimum specified time, and exercise
good microbiological judgment when exceeding the incubation time. For
incubation times expressed in days, incubations started in the morning or
afternoon should generally be concluded at that same time of day.

Tony

--
Tony Cundell, Ph. D.
Consulting Microbiologist