PMFLIST Archives

December 2015

From:
Dawn McIver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 2015 07:09:28 -0600
Bridget- Gelatin and soft shell capsules can support microbial growth if there is enough available water.  To test them they need to be dissolved.  You can try placing into a diluent like TSB or letheen broth and warming to get them into solution.  Don’t heat too high as you might kill organisms.  You can also try adding an enzyme like hemicellulose to the diluent.  This keeps the gelatin from forming a gel.

Keep in mind whatever method you use you will want to validate to ensure that you are getting recovery.

Dawn McIver
MicroWorks, Inc.