PMFLIST Archives

June 2020

From:
Tony Cundell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2020 18:31:43 -0400
Phil,

The approach I would take would be to inventory all the job requirements
for the success of an entry level microbiologist in the pharmaceutical or
cosmetic QC lab and determine if these are best taught in course work at
the state university or in on-the-job training at the pharmaceutical
company.

For example, the state university should provide a broad scientific
education, some basic laboratory skills especially aseptic handling of
microorganisms, plate counts, Gram stains, etc, encourage the ability of
the student to think critically and express themselves orally and in
writing. By looking at the subjects taken, the grades achieved and
intrapersonal skills of the applicant, the hiring manager should be able to
identify who to hire and make an investment in.

The pharma company should train the new hire in record keeping, GMP
compliance, and the compendial test methods. The pharma company should
emphasize their culture especially dedication to quality and teamwork
associated with working in industry.

Tony

--
Tony Cundell, Ph. D.