From:
Anthony Cundell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 12:20:06 -0400
Claude,
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
I can see this is not a road we should travel.
Tony Cundell
Wyeth-Ayerst

>>> Anger_Claude <[log in to unmask]> 05/01 10:58 AM >>>
Tony,
I was on the USP subcommittee to adopt some kind of BI antimicrobial
resistance indicator test for the challenge organisms. Also, I previously
worked at Purex and performed the "phenol coefficient tests" which are
absolutely terrible and are in no way an indicator of the resistance of the
challenge cells. I kept data from "experiments discarded because the phenol
coefficient value failed" and showed the company that the antimicrobial use
dilution test data did not change with the variance in the phenol
coefficient value - and so there you have it. Please discard any thoughts of
employing the phenol coefficient test on antimicrobial challenge test
organisms. What you are trying to do is indeed a difficult task. I sincerely
do not believe it is a relevant test method to pursue because it would
require the use of a battery of different standardized antimicrobial
solutions in order to get useful data. Also, because our challenge inocula
are a diverse population of cells in different states of metabolism and
reproduction I think it would be difficult to achieve reproducible
antimicrobial resistance data on a day to day basis.

Claude Anger
Director
Pharmaceutical Microbiology
(714) 246-4533