From:
Donald English <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2019 20:48:36 -0500
Dear Abed,

The question that you had asked is a common one for today’s Microbiology Laboratory.  One way is to work with a laboratory supply vendor to try to reduce the cost of sterile pipets, Petri dishes, microbial growth media and etc. that has been purchased in the last year. You try to obtain the best cost based upon a known volume that will be ordered for the up coming  year.  In addition, you can validate your cleaning and sanitization procedures in which periodic swabs of manufacturing equipment is conducted on a periodic basis to prevent drift in how the procedures are conducted instead of performing equipment swabs after each time that the  equipment has been sanitized.  Another way is to conduct hot water sanitization of manufacturing equipment so that you do not have to rotate with chemical sanitizers/disinfectants and to perform coupon studies on recovered microbial isolates with different sanitizers/disinfectants to establish efficacy.  For microbial cultures, you can try to establish a seed lot program in which known test organisms are established In lots that are no more than 5-transfers and can be used for a year.  I do not recommend changes in microbial test procedures in order to reduce the cost of microbial testing.  If you do, you are only setting up yourself for an eventual product recall if you do not detect the presence of an objectionable microorganism.

Regards,
Don

Florham Park, New Jersey 07932

Sent from my iPhone