From:
Kate Ambrus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2011 18:14:27 -0700
Do you no longer titrate the lot you purchase again a standard gentamycin powder purchased from a lab that sells these standards. That's what we used to do to establish the activity of a purchased batch of antibiotic. I am assuming it is this "pure" substance referred to in the message below. I am sorry - we are going back into the 90's here, and I no longer recall who manufactured these standards in the US.

The biological activity does vary from batch to batch and there is no straightforward correlation between the units and the micrograms. It depends on how many units are in each unit of weight of your purchased batch.

Kate Ambrus