PMFLIST Archives

December 2002

From:
Jake Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jake Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:52:41 -0700
In USP <61> under Total Aerobic Microbial Count, It states to use Soybean-casein Digest Agar for plate counts.  Where does it state that substitute media can be used, for instance PCA or R2A which are commonly used.  I'm looking for proof in the USP.  In the EP it states ...medium suitable for the cultivation of bacteria.  Is there some statement similar to that in the USP that I just haven't found.  Currently we are outsourcing all our micro, but very shortly it will be done in house.  Our outsourcing lab uses R2A, and I want to know how they can justify that. Thanks in advance,

Jake Weston

AAI - http://www.aaiintl.com/Micro.htm
Accugenix - http://www.accugenix.com/
Chemunex - http://www.chemunex.com/