PMFLIST Archives

December 2002

From:
Richard Jakober <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:49:47 -0500
Hi Jeanne,

We typically ID all our ATCC cultures before putting them into use and
we have had a similar problem with A. niger, Lot # 1981982. I have
examined the organism at length and I do not believe it is A. niger (it
is most likely A. tamarii, a similar Aspergillus species also forming
black conidia). The conidia are structurally different than "normal" A.
niger culture conidia and the culture that we have has hints of a dark
olive brown conidia along with the typical black. We switched to another
lot (from Cultiloops I believe) and have not had any further problems.
ATCC has not given us any real feedback on this organism. Let me know if
you have any further questions.

Thanks

Rick Jakober
Laboratory Manager