Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 11:07:22 EDT
Hi Kate:

According to USP, antibiotics are usually neutralized with enzymes.  You may
need to try a combination of tricks from enzymes, to low binding filters.  If
you have chosen the dilution method, USP has a ceiling of 2,000 mL.  Once you
reach the ceiling, you basically label the compound "antimicrobial" and always
test at the highest dilution.  Prior to taking this route, if you can filter
the solution that would be my chosen route.  Try adding the enzyme, if one is
available, use the low binding filter and try the five rinses of 500 mL each
or equivalent.

I will be in California next week talking about USP Microbiology Issues- I
will be in San Francisco on Wed and in San Diego on Thursday.  There are seats
available at both half day seminars.  For additional information send e-mail
to [log in to unmask] or call me at 850-763-5453.

Regards,

Laura Valdes-Mora
President, PMF
Technical Director, Elite MicroSource