From:
"Casey, Warren M" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 08:05:18 -0400
Tony,

I believe that culture conditions and test methodology are more realistic
sources of  apparent "resistance".  We should focus on standardizing these
aspects of the test rather than opening the Pandora's box of "phenol
resistance".  The five passage rule was put in place to ensure that cultures
remain genetically and physiologically pure (I'm sure than an extensive
scientific effort was undertaken to come up with 5, as oppose to 6 or 7
passages).

Warren