From:
"Carrier, Greg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 08:21:49 -0400
As I remember being told in a former life, many (or most) databases for
ID systems were developed with clinical laboratories as the primary
focus due to the relative volume of IDs they will perform with a system
versus all the rest of us (look at the relative numbers of strains used
in database development).  Consequently, as you approach the boundaries
of "usual" isolates within that realm, you find increasing apparent ID
discrepancies between various systems, and even within a given system.
Does that mean that your isolate is not Flavimonas?  Maybe, maybe not.
Are ID systems getting better?  Maybe, maybe not - at least, there seems
to be increasing consistency within systems, which is needed:  in many
of our pseudo-epidemiological pursuits within this industry, it is
perhaps more important to consistently call a bug the same thing, even
if it is "wrong", than to occasionally call it the right thing
interspersed with other identities.  Identification is still somewhat a
mixture of art and black magic, with a little bit of science thrown in.
Trying to put labels on the best biochemists in the world is difficult;
after all, they can't read the textbooks to know that 78% of O.
whatchumaycallit reduces kryptonite on a Tuesday.

Your second point bears consideration.  Just because we figured who,
what, and where Legionella is within the last twenty years, does that
mean that it only evolved and became a relatively frequent inhabitant of
natural waters within that time frame? Probably not.  What we "know"
about a point in time is limited by the methods used to generate that
knowledge.  Certainly Og trying to bludgeon a deer with a club for
dinner seems archaic to the modern hunter with a rifle, but at the time
Og was state of the art.