From:
Donald English <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 2020 04:08:54 -0400
Dear Tina and Michelle,

In USP Chapter 60, it states that the 3 Burkholderia strains should be
growth promoting and indicative on BCSA.  However, there is nothing in
this chapter that states what should be the indicative reaction for each of
these strains on BCSA.

If you look at the product informational sheets for BCSA from different
suppliers, they only use Burkholderia cepacia ATCC 25416 as their growth
promoting test organism.  I have not seen any media manufacturer data
indicating what would be the appearance of Burkholderia cenocepacia and
Burkholderia multivorans on BCSA.  However, I have also seen media
manufacturer literature that says that Burkholderia cepacia complex
colonies will appear as either white colonies surrounded by a pink-reddish
zone or greenish-brown colonies with a yellow zone on BCSA.  Because it is
very difficult to separate the members of Burkholderia cepacia complex by
biochemical means, you may need to have use this either/or appearance of
colonies on BCSA.  For this reason, I believe that it was assumed by the
USP that the growth of Burkholderia cenocepacia and Burkholderia
multivorans on BCSA will appear the same as Burkholderia cepacia ATCC 25416
.

It is best to use the guidance in the USP Chapter to base the indicative
reactions for each of the 3 strains of Burkholderia in how they appeared on
a previous batch of BCSA as your indicative properties.

This problem in the appearance of Burkholderia cenocepacia and Burkholderia
multivorans on BCSA is a good reason for not using colony appearance on a
selective/differential agars as a presumptive identification of an
isolate.  When it comes to identification of microbial isolates, it is time
to move into the 21st century to use the technology that is available today
and do away with presumptive identifications of isolates. It would be great
if the Star-Trek Tricoder would be available to do identifications of
microbial isolates.

Regards,
Don

Florham Park, New Jersey 07932