PMFLIST Archives

December 2015

From:
Don English/SUF/US <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 2015 15:35:27 +0000
Dear Harish,

To obtain a log value reduction, you need to multiple the count by the dilution factor if you are diluting the sample aliquot in a diluent containing preservative neutralizers.  If you are doing a 1:10 dilution of a test sample and obtaining a count of zero (nil), the count of the inoculated test sample for a sampling point is <10 CFU/g.  The log value of this count for this sampling point is <1.   I find it hard to believe that you are directly plating a 1.0 gram aliquot of the inoculated test sample directly into a Petri dish in which melted microbial growth agar is being added.  To obtain the log reduction, you need to subtract the log count at the 14 day sampling point or any other sampling point from the log value of the theoretical inoculum level.

Don

Donald J. English
Senior Manager - Microbiology, Research and Development
One Avon Place, Suffern, New York 10901
Phone 1-845-369-2805
Tieline 3435