From:
Linda Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 11:26:13 -0500
It is common in water too.  I isolated environmental Mycobacteria spp. from distilled water, tap water, ponds, streams, water fountains, etc  when I did my masters research.

Linda Cox
Diagnostic Medicine/Pathobiology
College of Veterinary Medicine
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/24/01 07:04AM >>>
While we haven't ever isolated any of the Mycobacterial species, M.
fortuitum is one of the fast growing isolates (4-7 days!).  Many
mycobacteria are ubiquitous in the environment (e.g., M. avium can be
readily isolated from surface waters in the South).  Many instances of M.
avium recovery from hospital water systems (including showers) have been
correlated with clinical isolates recovered from patients.  Bottom line, the
mycobacteria are out there, and they can grow (albeit slowly) on standard
media.

These are my recollections from Grad School and not those of Merck and Co!

Jamie Stanek