PMFLIST Archives

December 2002

From:
"Adams, Gerry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 10:04:38 -0500
Dear Jeanne Wilcox and others,

The Aspergillus niger culture that you mention has long been known to sector
into non-sporulating colonies. We generally receive a complaint or two
yearly about the strain because we sell so much of it. The loss of
sporulation is not a characteristic of the particular Lot# you mention. In
the last month we have checked this lot very carefully and found it to be
within the standard behavior of the strain. Over the 50 years the strain has
been in storage it has not become more or less susceptible to this behavior.
Research was done in the past at ATCC to attempt to make the strain more
stable, and to prevent it from becoming more susceptible to sectoring. While
there are strains of Aspergillus niger that do not exhibit this frequency of
going-sterile we have been unsuccessful in convincing either the NCCLS or
the IAS to accept a substituted strain. With a different strain of A. niger,
they would be required to repeat all of their assays and procedures and
re-establish standards and they have rejected that.
        Best regards,
Gerry

Gerard C. Adams, Ph.D.
Collections Scientist