From:
Laura Valdes-Mora <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2011 23:08:10 -0400
Peter:

You have certainly stimulated this forum with your question.  Many have replied with different answers, something very typical in the field of microbiology. The best part of it is that in this and many other situations dealing with microbiology there are many pathways to solve the dilemma and many of them, sometimes all, may be correct.

I usually pick 2 different media (one rich and one low in nutrients), sample and process water from each pull point in duplicate per medium.  Two incubation lengths can also be added to the mix ( you will need more samples).  You will run side by side studies for one year, pulling samples at least once per week (other water grades are sampled at other intervals).  The data generated is considered the Baseline Study of the water system.  You will trend the data and see if indeed there are any trends throughout the year.  In most cases using this data you will be able to choose the best medium and incubation length for your water system.

Be aware that from time to time,  you will not be able to choose a medium.  I had a system that gave higher microbial counts in one medium during the summer and in the other medium during the winter.  The counts were significantly different (more than half a log apart) thus, that system had to be sampled with the 2 media on a routine basis.

Ultimately, why should you bother with a baseline study?  Because during an inspection, regulatory agencies will ask to see the data and you need to show the regulators how and why you chose the medium and incubation conditions.

Regards,

Laura Valdes-Mora, MS
Technical Director
Elite MicroSource Corporation