From:
rfriedel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert R. Friedel
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 20:42:21 -0400
The function of iodine (in the form of tetrathionate) is to suppress
commensal coliform organisms so that Salmonella species can be enumerated
within a sample containing a mixed culture.  The iodine and iodide form
tetrathionate.  Salmonella possess the enzyme tetrathionate reductase and
can grow in the medium.  Others (e.g. E. coli) generally do not.  Brilliant
Green can be added but S. typhi is inhibited by this compound.

Robert R. Friedel
Quality Assurance Manager
Laboratory Research & Analysis Groups
Perritt Laboratories, Inc.