From:
Donald English <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 2020 11:53:34 -0400
Dear Giolina,

There is no need to use DMSO for an oil-in-water product emulsion.  DMSO
should only be used to dissolve anhydrous product samples that are not
water soluble.  An oil-in-water product emulsion is not a water insoluble
product formulation.  In addition to Polysorbate 80, I would include a 0.5%
concentration of Soy Lecithin to dissolve an oil-in-water product emulsion
in a plate count diluent because Soy Lecithin is an emulsifier.

To conduct challenge testing, it should be more than sufficient to vortex
an aliquot of an oil-in-water emulsion to have a homogenous dispersion of
the oil-in-water product emulsion if you are using Polysorbate 80 and Soy
Lecithin as part of the plate count diluent.

Don

Florham Park, New Jersey 07932