From:
Donald English <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2019 14:40:46 -0400
Dear Sam,

It is well known that silver nanoparticles have antimicrobial activity and
there are also of patients about its incorporation into a lot of
different items for this reason.  However, I have never since a literature
reference listing the range of antimicrobial activity for sliver
nanoparticles, but I do know that Silver nanoparticles  has activity
against Ps. aeruginosa (Reference: Salomoni, R. et al. Antibacterial effect
of Silver nanoparticles in Ps. aeruginosa.  Nanotechnol Sci. App. 2017;
10:115-121.

I believe that there are some non-governmental organizations that have an
issue in general with the usage of nanoparticles in product formulations.
Instead of using Silver nanoparticles that is not incorporated into a solid
item, it might be better to use a colloidal silver solution instead in your
product formulation like Silver dihydrogen citrate.

However, I have seen the published range of antimicrobial activity for
Silver dihydrogen citrate as a preservative in non-sterile product
formulations.  I have also seen it being used as an antimicrobial agent in
some European anti-deodorant product formulations. Based upon the
antimicrobial activity of Silver dihydrogen citrate, it has activity
against Gram-positive bacteria (e.g. Bacillus subtilis, S. aureus, etc.),
Gram-negative bacteria (e.g. Enterobacter gergoviae, E. coli, Ps.
aeruginosa and others), Yeast (Candida albicans) and mold (e.g. Aspergillus
braselienesis).  In non-sterile skin care product formulations, I have seen
the usage concentration of Silver dihydrogen citrate to be between 0.1 to
0.3%.  In addition, I have also seen the usage of Silver sulfadiazine as an
active ingredient in burn ointments at a 1% concentration and at a 5%
concentration in sterile ophthalmic ointments to treat corneal edema.

As for the antimicrobial activity range of Silver nanoparticles, I expect
that it would be similar to the antimicrobial activity of Silver dihydrogen
citrate is due to the presence of the Silver ion..

Regards,
Don

Florham Park, New Jersey 07932