From:
Raven Biologicals <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:12:49 EDT
Rosemarie,

I agree with Dr. Miller regarding the vigorous shaking of the stopper in a
medium to remove the spores.  I am not familiar with fluid D, but here are
some items to consider when trying to recover spores:

1) Never use a buffered solution for recovery or in your dilution tubes.  Use
sterile distilled water only.  Buffered solutions can affect the recoverable
spore population.

2) Call the BI manufacturer and ask them what medias they would recommend for
their spore outgrowth.  Different brands of media and different formulations
will also affect the recovery.  These brands and formulations can vary from
year to year as well, depending on the control the media manufacturer has over
the soy beans used to make their media.

Either of the above items could easily throw the recovery off by one log.  I
would be happy to address any specific questions you may have.  You can reach
me directly at: [log in to unmask]

Best regards,

Chris R. Dwyer
Raven Biological Laboratories