From:
"Casey, Warren M" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 07:34:02 -0400
Tony,

Pharm Eur section 5.1.4 Microbial Quality of Pharmaceutical Preparations
address the issue of enteric bacteria.  For example, Category 2 products,
Preparations for Topical use and use in the  respiratory tract, are required
to have a spec of NMT 10 cfu/g of enterobacteria "and certain other gram
negative organisms" (it's too early in the morning to get into the "enteric
bacteria" vs. "enterobacteriaciae" vs "coliform" debate).  Anyway, this
section of the Pharm Eur is binding as opposed to USP <1111> which,
technically speaking, is only "informational" (yeah, right).  So, even
though the specs may not be in the monograph, the products are still
expected to meet the specs outlined in 5.1.4.    I'm not sure if this
answers your question, but it's the best I can do being on this side of the
pond.

P.S.   I wanted to let all the Forum member know that I actually saw 10
Bengal Tigers in NC last week!!!  This just reinforces my proposal to
establish an "absence of Bengal tigers" specification for our park system.
Although these particular tigers were in a cage (several cages, actually)
there is a POSIBILITY that they could escape and run rampant in our fair
state's  park system.  You can never be too safe.

Warren