From:
"Dr. Michael J. Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2019 16:29:14 -0400
Hi Sam. A number of my clients have the BACTEC or BacT/ALERT. We have been validating these systems to provide comparable results to the USP test with, on average, 5-7 days incubation.

The minimum time to incubation will depend on the panel of organisms challenged into the system, which may include stressed organisms, slow growers or fastidious cultures. Your panel should include compendial organisms, facility isolates and/or organisms isolated from failed sterility tests, media fills or in-process or pre-filtration samples.

For validation, you should consider Limit of Detection and Equivalence, at a minimum, compared to the USP 71 test. Guidance for validation can come from PDA TR 33, USP 1223 and even Ph Eur 5.1.6.

As for stressed organisms, I have used sub-lethal heating for a few minutes for vegetative cells and incubation at 2-8 deg C for one week for spores.

Please contact me if you would like additional guidance at [log in to unmask] or for additional information visit the tutorial pages at http://rapidmicromethods.com.  The website also provides information on regulatory expectations for validation and a new page on sterility testing of gene and cell therpay products (ATMP) where you can justify using smaller test volumes than the current compendial method.

Michael