PMFLIST Archives

February 2020

From:
Donald English <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2020 10:28:07 -0500
Dear Kflie,

I have also experienced this issue when selective/differential agars such as Cetrimide Agar, MacConkey Agar, VJA, Mannitol Salt Agar and Baird Parker Agar was not 100% selective for isolating the target organism.  I have found that selective/differential agars are not 100% inhibitory to prevent the isolation of non-targeted organisms.  It is common to isolate Gam-positive bacilli and other Gram-negative bacterial species on these agars because they have the ability to be not affected by the inhibitory ingredients that are present in these microbial media.

Don

Florham Park, New Jersey 07932

Sent from my iPhone