PMFLIST Archives

February 2020

From:
Timothy Cser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2020 16:14:15 +0000
Hi Ramesh.  There are a couple things to think about with viable samplers.  First, ISO 14698 is an international standard that talks about impaction speed, physical and biological efficiency and unidirectional airflow.  As an example, you could have a sampler that ran at 1000 L/min but the biological efficiency of recovering organisms would be very low.  You need a sampler that gives you good biological efficiency as well as the physical efficiency to pull particles in down to about a micron so there is a balance between pulling in the particles that organisms can be found on, and the ability of those bugs to grow once they hit the media.   Physical and biological efficiency are the two main drivers behind how fast you can run an active air sampler.  There is also the unidirectional flow rate that can disturb laminar flow.  If you perform a smoke test with your sampler and notice turbulent air around the exhaust due to a higher flow, that could lead to pockets of air that don’t get filtered.  The smoke test can be done by the manufacturer or a third party.  The physical and biological efficiency should is usually done by a 3rd party to confirm the manufacturers claims.

Tim Cser
MilliporeSigma
MilliporeSigma is a division of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany

> On Feb 6, 2020, at 3:27 AM, Ramesh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to know is there any guidelines mentioned airsamplers airflow
> rates?
>
> Most of them are following 100 lit/min and 180 lit/min air flow rates which
> guidelines is saying to follow these air sampling
>
> If I follow 200 lit/ min air sampling (5 mins) to save the time and work
> load
> Is it acceptable 200 lit/min air sampling in pharmaceutical clean rooms ?
>
> Please share any document references for airflow rate for airsamplers.
>
> Thanking you in advance
>
> Best Regards,
> Ramesh
>

> air flow rate of 100 litres/min
>
> ------------------
> The PMFList (https://clicktime.symantec.com/35ayh8uCgEdBLYf1PGyGbhg6H2?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmicrobiologynetwork.com%2Fpmflist.asp) is operated from
> The Microbiology Network (https://clicktime.symantec.com/3TCDGK9PCQFrL152BoG5gE66H2?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmicrobiologynetwork.com) and supported by

> Steris - https://clicktime.symantec.com/3DUxks1fc1Q1CCtBW7SxG966H2?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sterislifesciences.com%2F
>
> Charles River Laboratories - https://clicktime.symantec.com/3GZKn59jtz5wHeTtsUwquiq6H2?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.criver.com%2F
>
> Veltek Associates, Inc - https://clicktime.symantec.com/3CTJ7RdLcbqzAM9Gck2cxHy6H2?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sterile.com
>
> Microbiologics, Inc. - https://clicktime.symantec.com/3CpH7ErDnwpbH5FPA97X8M36H2?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.microbiologics.com
>
> BD Industrial Media - https://clicktime.symantec.com/36H3K3sSNgJMBFx5fJ5UQ3A6H2?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bd.com%2Fds%2F
>
> Boston Analytical https://clicktime.symantec.com/3UZzVRggu1zxzGyMqBq7Zot6H2?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bostonanalytical.com%2F
>
> Associates of Cape Cod, Inc. - https://clicktime.symantec.com/3GNYZkzXvDXL9hWwBtCfhac6H2?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.acciusa.com%2F

This message and any attachment are confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the contents to any other person. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachment from your system. Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany and any of its subsidiaries do not accept liability for any omissions or errors in this message which may arise as a result of E-Mail-transmission or for damages resulting from any unauthorized changes of the content of this message and any attachment thereto. Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany and any of its subsidiaries do not guarantee that this message is free of viruses and does not accept liability for any damages caused by any virus transmitted therewith.

Click http://www.merckgroup.com/disclaimer to access the German, French, Spanish and Portuguese versions of this disclaimer.