Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 20:06:19 EDT
Dear all

Although not nearly as extensive as the Computer-Aided Learning package hoped
for, I have two programs which may be of use to Dr. Pryce-Jones and many
others.  These have been enhanced with the help of some PharmWeb contributors
who have tested earlier versions and to whom I am grateful.

There is a program which will calculate Fo from a given time/temp/z-value, and
also calculate SAL from a bioburden or minimum required Fo required to achieve
a specified SAL, and a MS Excel 5.0 Add-In which will provide built-in
spreadsheet functions for the same calculations.

These two files are available at http://members.aol.com/craobhrua

For those with e-mail but without web access, perhaps I can e-mail a copy of
these to anyone who requests.  For those still left out, if you can comprehend
Fo, you can figure out how to include the formulae below into Excel or any
other spreadsheet for your use.

Fo = 10 ^ ((temperature - reference temp) /z value)*time
SAL = 10 ^ (Log10(Initial) ) - (Fo / D-Value))
Fo Required = D Value * (Log10(Bioburden) - Log10(SAL Required) )

These programs are non commercial, prepared by me to pass the time in hotel
rooms far from home.  They are provided free to you under no guarantee of
their accuracy or suitability, please feel free to send any suggestions,
criticisms or especially any queries of a commercial nature, to me.

Ed O'Dwyer