PMFLIST Archives

January 2020

From:
Tony Cundell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2020 12:54:49 -0500
Robert,

Yes, as with any new method people need to become familiar with it. <60> is
largely modeled on <62>.

USP <60> states under Indicative Properties:

Suitability of the Test Method
The ability of the test to detect Bcc in the presence of the product to be
tested must be established. The incubation time for the method suitability
should not exceed the shortest incubation period specified. Suitability
must be confirmed if there is a change in testing performance or a change
in the product that may affect the outcome of the test.
For each new product to be tested, perform the sample preparation as
described in *Testing of Products*. At the time of mixing, add each test
strain in the prescribed growth medium. Inoculate the test strains
individually. Use a number of microorganisms equivalent to NMT 100 cfu in
the inoculated test preparation.
Perform the test as described in *Testing of Products*, using the shortest
incubation period prescribed. Bcc microorganisms must be detected with the
indication reactions described in *Interpretation*.

As this section specifically refers to Bcc and instructs to use each test
strains separately you would use B. cepacia, B. cenocapacia and B.
multivorans as instructed in Table 2 for use for both growth-promotion and
indicative properties. S. aureus and P. aueruginosa is used to demonstrate
the inhibitory properties of the BCS agar.

Tony

--
Tony Cundell, Ph. D.
Consulting Microbiologist