From:
"Balkovic, Ed" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 14:03:42 -0400
If interested in more info on Nanobacteria, one can find some articles
on Nanobacteria at: http://www.uku.fi/~kajander/index.html.

Also a  company ABCELL in Finland produces a Nanobacteria Detection Kit.
The company web address is: http://www.uku.fi/~kajander/abcelleng.htm.

Below is a copy of a recent e-mail which I received from ABCELL about
their kit:

Dear Sir,

ABCELL´s Nanobacteria Detection Kit includes a 96-well plate coated with
monoclonal capture antibody raised in mouse against bovine nanobacteria.
Another monoclonal antibody, labeled with horseradish peroxidase,
recognizing a specific nanobacterial surface antigen is used for the
detection. The kit also includes all reagents, standards, and advice
needed
for semiquantitative assay of the nanobacteria-specific epitopes in
serum
samples. The kit does not work reliably with urine samples or samples
containing nanobacteria covered by thick apatite envelope, as in kidney
and
pulp stones and a variety of biofilms typical to many cell culture
processes. In the case of a positive result, the sample needs to be
cultured
for two weeks and reanalyzed in order to judge whether and to what
extent
the sample contains living nanobacteria.

All the components of the kit are dehydrated making the kit easy to
transfer
and to store. Routinely, we deliver the kits via the service of DHL
International. The price of the kit is FIM 1500 (USD 310, at current
exchange rate) excluding VAT and transportation costs that are estimated
stay below USD 150 for 1-4 kits. We also sell the monoclonal antibody in
ascites liquid at a price of USD 450 per 50 µg of MAb. The orders can be
made by telefax.

Yours sincerely,
Terho Eloranta
ABCELL
fax +358-17-283 1344

Submitted by:

Ed Balkovic, Ph.D.
QC - Microbiology Technical Support
Genzyme Corporation

The opinions expressed in this message are my own, and may not reflect
the views of my employer.