Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:30:31 EDT
Bravo, Scott!  Both you and Warren might consider starting a writing career -
writing fiction, or is it really non-fiction!

Someone once said the following:  That which hurts, instructs.
Paradoxically, that which makes us laugh, also instructs.  I think this
tongue-in-cheek discussion with the alien underscores a fundamental issue:
What happens when "democratic" processes such as USP and other
consensus-based entities generate what most endusers consider illogical
directives?  I guess the answer is that if your preferred approach, in its
purest form, is proven to be at least "equivalent" to current art/science,
then regulatory authorities should not penalize you for going down a
different path.

In the end, though, this may all be a distinction without a difference as I
harp back on a thread that I helped formulate awhile ago:  Our guidepost
should be driven "backwards" (i.e., what do the clinical/epidemiological data
tell us) as much as today's conventional wisdom.  Most conventional wisdom,
it seems to me, ends up being wrong.

Richard Prince