From:
"MICHAEL CARROLL (Sr. QA Mgr., Osteotech, Inc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 13:41:58 -0500
Warren-- I'd really like to see those ref's, too-- FAX # is: (732) 389-8485--
THANKS--
 M.Carroll ([log in to unmask])

Subject: Re: [PMFLIST] Swabs vs. Contact Plates
Author:  <[log in to unmask]> at INTERNET-MAIL
Date:    9/30/98 8:42 AM

Nancy,

We have done several studies comparing swab vs. rodac vs. petrifilm.
Based on this work, I would say that all of the methods are acceptable
but they are not equivalent.  RODAC plates will, in general, pick up a
larger percentage of cells than swabs.  However, if the cells are in any
way adhered to the surface (i.e, spores dried onto a surface), then
swabs are better.    I have a number of references on the subject, if
you would like a copy of them please send me your fax number and I will
send them - you may want to give me a call first and I can give you a
list of the titles and you can figure out which ones are appropriate.

Regards,

Warren Casey

Pharmaceutical Development, Microbiology
* 919-483-3612
FAX    919-483-3372