PSDGLIST Archives

April 2015

PSDGLIST@LISTS.MICROBIOLOGYNETWORK.COM

From:
"Capucao, Jing [MCCUS]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2015 04:10:29 +0000
Dear Patrick,
In a previous lifetime, I remember doing something similar to your first example, since this study design was aligned with the label instructions of once daily dosing for that particular product.  As you propose, we also continued to open the bottles till the last date of dosing (day 30 in your example) and tested what was left in the bottle, since the test is supposed to demonstrate that the product in the package, after opening and repeated dispensing, is good to use till the last day of the in-use or dispensing period ("good till the last drop").  Study designs usually will vary based on the difference in label dosing instructions, as you are supposed to simulate how the patient/customer will handle the package and product.  Open dish (petri dish or unsealed bottle) data may also be used to support the in-use period, since this condition represents worst case product exposure.

The CPMP (EU) guidance is an excellent reference.  In addition, the WHO 2009 Stability Guidance contains a section on in-use stability that reflects the EU requirements.
http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Scientific_guideline/2009/09/WC500003475.pdf
http://www.who.int/medicines/publications/pharmprep/pdf_trs953.pdf?ua=1#page=101

Warm regards and best of luck!
Jing