PSDGLIST Archives

August 2014

PSDGLIST@LISTS.MICROBIOLOGYNETWORK.COM

Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 17:24:09 +0000
Reference can be found in USP<71>, as Tony points out.

Table 3. Minimum Number of Articles to be Tested in Relation to the Number of Articles in the Batch
 Number of Items in the Batch* Minimum Number of Items to be Tested for Each
Medium (unless otherwise justified and authorized)**
 Parenteral preparations
 Not more than 100 containers  10% or 4 containers, whichever is the greater
 More than 100 but not more than 500 containers  10 containers
 More than 500 containers  2% or 20 containers, whichever is less
 For large-volume parenterals  2% or 10 containers, whichever is less
 Antibiotic solids
 Pharmacy bulk packages (<5 g)  20 containers
 Pharmacy bulk packages (5 g)  6 containers
 Bulks and blends  See Bulk solid products

 Ophthalmic and other noninjectable preparations
 Not more than 200 containers  5% or 2 containers, whichever is the greater
 More than 200 containers  10 containers
 If the product is presented in the form of single-dose containers,
apply the scheme shown above for preparations for parenteral use.
 Catgut and other surgical sutures for veterinary use  2% or 5 packages, whichever is the greater,
up to a maximum total of 20 packages
 Not more than 100 articles  10% or 4 articles, whichever is greater
 More than 100, but not more than 500 articles  10 articles
 More than 500 articles  2% or 20 articles, whichever is less
 Bulk solid products
 Up to 4 containers  Each container
 More than 4 containers, but not more than 50 containers  20% or 4 containers, whichever is greater
 More than 50 containers  2% or 10 containers, whichever is greater
*  If the batch size is unknown, use the maximum number of items prescribed.
**  If the contents of one container are enough to inoculate the two media, this column gives the number of containers needed for both the media together.