PMFLIST Archives

April 2000

From:
James McColgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:06:08 -0400
Hi Tony,

I am looking forward to reading the articles when I get them, I am glad to hear that they look good.

I just recently became aware of the Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology but I had never heard of the Journal of Rapid Methods and Automation in Microbiology.  I didn't think the field of rapid micro was mature enough as of yet for its own journal!!  As to what journals pharmaceutical microbiologist read I am not totally sure.  Talking with some people from strictly QC backgrounds I am not sure if they read any journals.  Being that I come from a development background I get about 20 table of contents a month that I look through.  From an applied point of view I get a lot of good practical information from the J of Applied and Env. Micro and Biotechnology/Bioengineering as well as Nature/Biotechnology.  I think your work would find a large, interested audience in any of those.  I have just started looking at the Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology so I don't have a feel as to how wide an audience that has. I look forward to reading your papers, let me know when and where you decide to publish so I am can be sure to see them.

We are starting to move forward on the validation and implementation of the Scan RDI for assaying in process  bioburden.  I will update you when we have some data.

Jim McColgan
Genetics Institute

>>> Anthony Cundell <[log in to unmask]> 04/26 8:38 AM >>>
Jim,
Luis sent me copies and I find the work very impressive.
I was not aware of the publications as I do you read Journal of Rapid Methods and Automation in Microbiology and Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology.

I am look to publish work in PCR and MALDI TOF Mass Spect.
What publications do pharmaceutical microbiologists routinely read?

Tony Cundell
Wyeth-Ayerst Pharmaceuticals

>>> James McColgan <[log in to unmask]> 04/25 5:35 PM >>>
Luis,

I would appreciate copies of the papers you cited.

You can send them to

Jim McColgan
Cell and Molecular Sciences
Genetics Institute
1 Burtt Rd
Andover, MA.  01810

Thanks

>>> LUIS JIMENEZ <[log in to unmask]> 04/07 6:11 PM >>>
I published several papers on PCR for detecting the 4 USP indicators, mold,
B. cepacia, and sterility testing in pharmaceutical samples.  There are
several sources for probes in the literature which were validated and peer
reviewed.

The references are :

1.  Journal of Industrial Microbiology, Volume 22, 93-95. 1999. 3 USP
indicators (Pseudomonas, S. aureus, and E. coli).

2.  Journal of Rapid Methods and Automation in Microbiology, Volume 6,
67-76. 1998. 1 USP indicator with the BAX system. (Salmonella).

3.  Journal of Rapid Methods and Automation in Microbiology, Volume 7,
39-46. 1999. (Mold)

4.  Journal of the AOAC International (In Press). (B. cepacia).

5. The sterility paper will be published in the Journal of Rapid Methods and
Automation in Microbiology.

If you want a copy of any of these articles let me know about it.

Best wishes,

Luis Jimenez, Ph.D.