PMFLIST Archives

December 2003

From:
"Wyke, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 07:18:01 -0000
Hi Everyone,

At the risk of being shouted down :-)

What is the risk of an extra day's incubation? Some more colonies may become
visible?

And that would be dreadful because microbiology is such an exact science <g>
that in the EP they state that where a limit of 100 is given they mean
anything from 50 - 100.

If you're testing where a single colony (or 10) is critical then someone
should come in on the Sunday otherwise I would struggle to justify the
expense (other than if things go wrong then you get higher counts (it fails
safe?) so there may be a business cost).

I don't know of any organisms that will be in nice countable colonies on the
fifth day and enter a phase of invisible growth as the clock ticks on past
midnight.

Seriously though, I've worked in clinical, water, pharmaceutical and food
laboratories and we only read plates on Sundays if people were in anyway,
most of the time they were left for the extra day.

John Wyke
QA Manager
Rosemont Pharmaceuticals Ltd

This e-mail is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient and you have received this e-mail
in error then any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying
of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and you should contact the sender
by e-mail return and then delete all the material from your system.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do
not necessarily represent those of Rosemont Pharmaceuticals Limited
and does not form part of a legally binding agreement.
We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software
viruses, but we advise that you carry out your own checks on any
attachments to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or
damage caused by software viruses.

AAI - http://www.aaiintl.com/Micro.htm
Accugenix - http://www.accugenix.com/
Microcheck - http://www.microcheck.com/