PMFLIST Archives

December 2003

From:
Anne Maczulak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:19:30 -0800
Hi John,

You won't be shouted down.  I think the risk in the scenario we are
discussing is twofold; (1) the lab did not simply add an extra day of
incubation.  I agree with you that this would be fairly harmless to the
results.  The lab's suggestion to pull the plates from incubator to
refrigerator and back to incubator is the issue.  This is not acceptable
procedure for establishing a consistent method for colony counts that would
be relative to all other counts previously recorded.  (2) Water orgs grow
under refrigerated temps.  By disrupting the incubation as this lab has
done, they have effectively skewed the results for that set of plates,
selecting for the cold-temp organisms.

Anne