PMFLIST Archives

December 2003

From:
Phil Geis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:35:42 -0500
Suggest caution in using "P. cepacia" agar (and other selective agars) for
species identification.   I understand that this medium was developed for
isolation of cepacia from clinical sources (esp. from folks with cystic
fibrosis) and reportedly works well in that application where one would
anticipate that the inoculum is not too complex and the numbers are relatively
great.   There are more than a few articles describing heterogeneity, in
sensitivity to selective agents as well as utilization of carbon sources, of
cepacia complex isolates from water and the environment (1,2).  So be aware you
might miss some if this were all you used for this important bug.  Further and
tho' it's not so useful as it applies probably to all bugs in water, viable
counts typically underestimate cepacia from natural sources (3) and, my bet,
treated waters as well.

I'll add that the "P. cepacia agar" relies on the bug's ability to utilize
pyruvate and make the medium basic in the presence of some inhibitors
(polymyxin, oxgall, etc).  At least some suppliers caution that it shouldn't be
used for identification.
     e.g. "PC Agar is not a differential medium; other microbes can use
pyruvate, produce alkaline by-products and
           cause the medium to turn pink to hot pink.  Biochemical testing must
be performed to identify B. cepacia definitively."
So you might have some false positive if this were used for species id.

(1) Syst Appl Microbiol. 2003 Nov;26(4):595-600.
Isolation of Burkholderia cepacia complex genomovars from waters

(2) J Appl Microbiol. 2003;95(6):1191-9.
Burkholderia cepacia complex genomovars: utilization of carbon sources, susceptibility to antimicrobial agents and growth on
selective media.

(3) Appl Environ Microbiol. 2002 Aug;68(8):3750-8.
Culture-based and non-growth-dependent detection of the Burkholderia cepacia complex in soil environments

From: Nicola Skeet <[log in to unmask]> on 12/18/2003 04:49 AM GMT

                   Nicola Skeet           To:   [log in to unmask]
            <[log in to unmask]>           Cc:    (bcc: Phil Geis-PA/PGI)
                                  Subject:      Re: [PMFLIST] question on media used
                                       for Water Bioburden testing
            12/17/2003 11:49 PM
          Please respond to The
    Pharmaceutical Microbiology
               Forum Email List

We are using TSA for Total Heterotrophic Count, M-Endo for Coliform and P.
cepacia for B. cepacia

Nicola Skeet
Unigene Laboratories

their support of this service.