PMFLIST Archives

December 2003

From:
"Julie P. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:02:25 -0500
Francesco,
I have found that "Medically Important Fungi" by Davise H. Larone to be
a very good book.  In my former life as a medical technologist, I used
to teach the saprophytic fungi to students.  The book has good pictures,
a "how to" section and is not overwhelming.  The publisher is Elsevier
Science Publishing Co.  Also, "The Atlas of Clinical Fungi" by, G.S. de
Hoog, etal is also a good resource.  It goes a lot more into depth than
the Larone book with keys to use.  There used to be a book called "Fungi
on Telephone Poles" that dealt with some of the more obscure saprophytes
but I don't know if it is still available. Taking a class would also
help just to get the basics down about isolation, what media to use, how
to make preps for microscopy, and how to catagorize molds.  Hope this
helps.
Julie Whelan
Microbiologist