PMFLIST Archives

December 2003

From:
Marion Andersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:09:14 -0700

In my 35 years as a microbiologist, I have never encountered bacteria that
exhibit growth curves that can be switched on or off like a light bulb.  I
learned very early that bacteria do not sleep nor do they take vacations or
weekends off.  To be a microbiologist means coming in nights, weekends and
holidays to count plates or transfer organisms.

This scenario would take an interesting validation to support it.
Especially with water samples where the potential for overgrowth of
organisms tolerant of low temperature might mask important organisms with
narrower temperature requirements.  Unless the next step is a sub-culture
to some selective media which requires the culture in the log phase, it
seems better to leave the plates in the incubator or preferrably count them
onthe weekend.

P.S. Please do not tell my employees about week ends off.

Marion Andersen, SM(ASM)

                      Gayle Shaw
                      <shaw.gayle@CRYOLIF        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      E.COM>                     cc:
                      Sent by: The               Subject:  Re: [PMFLIST] incubation time question???
                      Pharmaceutical
                      Microbiology Forum
                      Email List
                      .LSOFT.COM>

                      12/15/03 08:24 AM
                      Please respond to
                      The Pharmaceutical
                      Microbiology Forum
                      Email List

Dawn,
I have never heard of that either, we always had a window of 5-7 days to
cover weekends on our bioburdens.
Gayle Shaw
QE Validation Microbiologist
Cryolife, Inc

McCabe Dawn D <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: The Pharmaceutical Microbiology Forum Email List
12/15/2003 10:08 AM
Please respond to The Pharmaceutical Microbiology Forum Email List