PMFLIST Archives

December 2003

From:
Eric Strauss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:31:22 +0200
Are the filters between line A & B identical? If not, then the filter may
be the culprit.  It is known that some filters have an affinity to
chemicals such as preservatives and "steal" them away from the filtered
solution until the filter gets saturated.  This produces a profile where
the first units filtered would show low amounts of the chemical and the
later units are fine.
It is a little far fetched that the filter is absorbing something from the
TSB that the Bacillus needs for growth, but who knows a this point?

Eric Strauss
Teva Pharmaceuticals

                      Scott Sutton
                      <Scott.Sutton@Alcon        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      Labs.com>                  cc:
                      Sent by: The               Subject:  [PMFLIST] Request for Help on Media Fill GPQ
                      Pharmaceutical
                      Microbiology Forum
                      Email List
                      .LSOFT.COM>

                      16/12/2003 18:20
                      Please respond to
                      The Pharmaceutical
                      Microbiology Forum
                      Email List

Here is an interesting case study I have been asked to post anonymously:

Two aseptic filling lines:
  Line A - Product is filtered sterile immediately before aseptic filling
  Line B - Product is bulk sterilized (heat) and then aseptically filled

The problem:
   Filled bottles (Line B) from the beginning of the run fail GPQ for B
subtilis (and continue to fail on subsequent challenges of additional
units).

Background:
   Bulk media from both lines pass GPQ for all organisms
   Filled units from the end of the run (Line B) pass GPQ
   Filled units from Line A always pass GPQ, no matter from beginning or
end
of run
   Both media fills used same manufacturer's lot of TSB
   CIP is validated
   No evidence of sanitizers can be found in the media filled bottles.

================

When I first saw this question I thought that the CIP was suspect, but have
been assured that all is in place, and there is no evidence of residual
sanitizer being washed off the equipment into the filled units.  Next
thought was that they had baked the TSB too much to support B subtilis
(Line
B remember is sterilized in bulk by heat).  If so, then why do samples from
the bulk and the end of the fill run support growth?  Unfortunately, there
are no retains from the different sampling events to evaluate.

BTW - all other organisms used for GPQ (based on Sterility Test B/F plus
environmental) were fine.

Anyway, I held this post a couple of days to get the above clarification.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Scott Sutton
Moderator, PMFList

This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and may be legally
privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient or an authorized
representative of an intended recipient, you are prohibited from using,
copying or distributing the information in this e-mail or its attachments.
immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies of this message and any
attachments.  Thank you.

their support of this service.
AAI - http://www.aaiintl.com/Micro.htm
Accugenix - http://www.accugenix.com/