From:
Manasith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:16:29 +0300
Dear colleague!

We are manufacturer of pharmaceutical non-sterile products. I would like
to ask the forum about the environmental monitoring in the Penicillin
and Cephalosporin units.

The question is: which kind of medium should be used for the detection
of bacteria?

We use the air sampler for collection of air on Tryptone soya agar
(TSA).

Do we have to use medium, which contain neutralizers? We used to compare
the recovery rate between the normal TSA with TSA containing
Tween/Lecithin and TSA containing penicillinase.

As results, we could not find any significant difference in the recovery
between 3 agar media, maybe due to the low amount of antibiotic in the
air? Or the neutralizer is not effective enough?

Has some one experience in this field or can some one tell me which
medium should I use? Is the use of general neutralizers Tween and
Lecithin enough for the environmental monitoring in these units?

Should I measure the concentration of penicillin in the air and
calculate the amount of Penicillinase to be put in the medium? I think,
the concentration of penicillin in the air should very with the time.

Thanks you,

Manasith Phithak

Microbiology laboratory

Accugenix - http://www.accugenix.com/