From:
Brian MATTHEWS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2006 06:34:21 +0100
Stephanie,

The latest proposed amendment to the EU GMPs has a footnote which
effectively allows a count of 20 particles at 5.0 microns.  At the same time
the document indicates that it is being brought into line with ISO 14644
part 1 - although the equivalent limit there is given as 29.  In addition,
the draft has been amended to read '5.0' instead of '5' - an implied
increase in precision that may well not be justified.

A number of comments have been submitted on these and other issues concerned
with the proposed revisions to Annex 1.  It will be interesting to see
whether any of those comments will be taken into account when the ad hoc
Inspectors Group finalise the amendments.  I do not think that we can hold
out much hope for this based on experience with the last two changes to the
guidelines - the first of which was imposed with no consultation, while the
second was consulted on but none of the comments appeared to have been
accepted.

Regards,

Brian Matthews.