From:
"merideth, curtis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2006 09:59:08 -0500
Does anyone know if soybean oil has inhibitory properties, and if so how
to overcome them for USP total aerobic count?

I've tried diluting up to 1:100 in SCD broth with polysorbate and
lecithin with no luck for recovery of S. aureus.  A dilution of 1:20
gave the same result as 1:100, about 30% recovery of S. aureus.  The
product is a capsule that dissolves almost completely if the broth is
warmed, but I don't think it would be "suitable" for membrane
filtration.  I could try filtering a portion of the broth or multiple
tube method if I needed to, but I'd like to avoid that if I could.  Any
other ideas?  Or do you think it would be safe to just monitor at 1:20
or 1:100?  Every other organism recovered fine at these dilutions.  Any
help would be appreciated.

Curt Merideth
Microbiologist

MIDI, Inc. - http://www.midi-inc.com