From:
Dabbara Venkateshwara Rao <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2006 16:40:09 +0530
Hi Stacey

Enterobacteriaceae is a family includes E.coli, shigella, salmonella, citrobacter, klebsiella, entrobacter, Serratia, Proteus, Morganella, Providentia, Yersinia, etc. These large Gram- negative rods are usually associated with intestinal infections, but can be found in almost all natural habitats. They are the causative agents of such diseases as meningitis, bacillary dysentery, typhoid, and food poisoning.

Total coliform bacteria group is a large collection of different kinds of bacteria originate from soil or vegetation and in the intestinal tract of warm-blooded animals (fecal coli).  The fecal coliform group is a sub-group of total coliform and has fewer kinds of bacteria.  E. coli is a sub-group of fecal coliform.

Regards,
Dr.D.V.Rao
Research Scientist,
Ranbaxy Research Labs