From:
Cindy Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 2009 11:56:52 -0700
As far as using a mixed culture:
it could be diluted so that each culture was innoculated in a lower concentration so that you were not innoculating 5x the amount.
As for not knowing which organism might be responsible for growth - does it really matter?  You would know if its bacteria or fungus based on the plates used and just knowing there was growth tells you that you need to reevaluate your preservative system, right?
I do work with very small cosmetics makers who really need to be economical about preservative testing so I am always trying to figure out a less expensive way for them to get more testing.

Cindy Jones, Ph.D.
Sagescript Institute, llc
http://www.sagescript.com