From:
David Carlberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2011 07:28:19 -0700
Gilman,

By horizontal flow cabinet, I assume you are referring to the type of cabinet in which the filter bank is at the back wall of the cabinet and air flow is outward toward the operator. I would not recommend using a horizontal flow cabinet for conducting USP 61 and 62 tests since I believe USP 62 requires using viable cultures to validate the tests. Horizontal flow cabinets should only be used to maintain an aseptic work area for operations that do not involve handling viable cultures, such as pouring agar plates. If viable organisms are accidentally aerosolized in a horizontal flow cabinet, they will be carried out into the surrounding environmental by the outward flow of air. On the other hand, if a vertical flow cabinet is operated properly, its air flow is confined to within the cabinet and there is little danger of any aerosolized organisms escaping into the surrounding environment. Thus the operator, the work area, and the environment are protected.

David Carlberg, PhD