PMFLIST Archives

March 2012

From:
Gregg Mosley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:28:42 -0500
To Marion Andersen.

I salute Marion on her succinct explanation of the operation and purpose
of the two pieces of equipment.  Further I would say either she has aged
better than her former lab partner or partnered with him in spirit only.
Not bad though as he did perform at least 7 miracles (microbiological,
that is) of which I am aware, including saving the French wine industry
for us to enjoy.  Hear, hear!

However, while aseptic methods work for many microbiological techniques,
handling large devices or long tubing sets or some other cumbersome item
aseptically in a normal lab environment does not lend itself to
preventing at least one microbe from contaminating the experiment.  In
many tests, one microbe is enough to confound the interpretation of the
test or experiment.  In the current industrial settings for testing of
devices, pharmaceuticals and diagnostic products confounding results are
difficult to explain to many regulatory personnel who believe all
results ought to be perfect and leave nothing to question.  Hence, for
those of us operating in the 'regulated industries' choosing one or the
other of the two systems described in not optional.

Besides, it is a fact that many of us who claim "common sense" would not
agree on an interpretation of some particular outcome anyway.

Gregg A. Mosley