PMFLIST Archives

September 2012

Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:08:45 -0400
Tony:

Have you worked with Oxyrase (http://www.oxyrase.com/) for anaerobes?

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Cundell <[log in to unmask]>
To: PMFLIST <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Fri, Aug 31, 2012 10:21 am
Subject: Re: [PMFLIST] Challenge microorganisms used for medium GPT

Byron,

It is understood that FTM used for sterility testing is a compromise medium
that has the capability to grow strict anaerobes, facultative anaerobes and
aerobes. Moreover, FTM is not used by clinical microbiologists as it will
not grow fastidious bacteria as it lacks hemin and vitamin K. Work by
Jennifer Gray and her coworkers at Novartis highlight that Schaedler
agar/broth may be superior to FTM.

The degree of oxygenation can be adjusted by heating the sterility test
bottles. This may be more important than the selection of inhouse organisms
for growth promotion testing

For my full discussion of the compendial test I direct you to my book
chapter in the recent book entitled Rapid Sterility Testing:

Cundell, A. M. The History of the Development, Applications, and
Limitations of the USP Sterility Test. IN Rapid Sterility Testing Edited J.
Moldenhauser Davis Horwood/PDA 2011

Tony

EMD Millipore -  http://bit.ly/Udi4CP