PSDGLIST Archives

October 2016

PSDGLIST@LISTS.MICROBIOLOGYNETWORK.COM

From:
Tony Cundell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2016 14:49:06 -0400
1. XLD agar contains deoxycholate which is inhibitory to Gram-posotive
bacteria and differentiates between non-pathogenic and pathogenic enteric
on the basis of lactose, sucrose and xylose fermentation. E. coli that
ferments lactose appears yellow while Shigella flexneri appears red. On EMB
agar lactose-fermenting E. coli appear dark or dark with a metallic sheen
not pink.

2. MSA contains 7.5% salt and S. aureus ferments mannitol turning the pH
indicator phenol red from red to yellow. S. epidermis. VJ agar
differentiates coagulase-positive staphylococcus which ferment mannitol and
reduce tellurite. I believe that VJ agar may be superior so it was retained
in USP <20122> which is not harmonized.

--
Tony Cundell, Ph. D.
Consulting Microbiologist