From:
Maria Ioakim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2018 02:04:06 -0400
Thank you all for the replies.
The situation here is that the autoclave showed this message "Water in the machine" and this water did not allow the unit to cool down as usually.
We did not discard the media but we performed growth promotion for investigation purposes. We will not use them for analysis.
For TSB results were OK.
For PB there was observed a decrease (>50%) to the count of E.coli after 4h, test repeated with same result.
pH and colour were within specifications.
We have checked the autoclave, removed any water present in the machine and we have run Instruments cycle (122°C/20min) as well as liquids cycle (121°C/15min) for media with only 3x bottles filled with water to check if the problem insists however both cycles were successful.
Thus, we used the autoclave again yesterday for sterilisation of culture media (PB, TSB, MCB) and the same problem occurred. We have then noticed a folded hose and maybe this was the issue, the supplier was also contacted for maintenance.
The problem is that I dont have a clue if the prolonged standing (>10h) at 60-80°C can affect the media, also I cannot be sure what was actually the temperature in the chamber.
My opinion is that if we can justify effectively that the quality of media is not compromised then we can use them for analysis. "Dump it" will be the easy way!