From:
Donald English <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2018 23:20:43 -0500
Dear Dipkia,

Very good question concerning what is process water and purified water.
Typically, I would considered process water is water that is used for
making product formulations.
In most cases, process water is USP purified water.  However, I have seen
people use potable (drinking water) or purified water containing added low
levels
of chlorine for making product formulations.  USP purified water containing
added low levels of chlorine is not USP purified water.  From my
perspective, I would rather have product formulations
 be made with USP purified water for a lot of different reasons.  I would
not consider potable water that is used for performing equipment cleaning
and sanitization as process water.

I would not recommend the usage of a direct inoculation method for testing
process or purified water such as 1 ml into Soybean-Casein Digest Medium.
The reason is that water borne isolates would be inhibited by the high
nutrient conditions that are present in the Soybean-Casein Digest Medium.
Instead,  I would recommend the usage
of a membrane filtration method from Standard Methods for the Examination
of Water and Wastewater.  The usage of either R2A or PCA as the growth
medium should be
sufficient.  If recovered isolates are obtained on these agars, they can be
sub-cultured onto PCA and identified to the genus and species level.

Don

Consultant
Florham Park, New Jersey 07932
1-732-208-3072