PMFLIST Archives

November 2018

PMFLIST@LISTS.MICROBIOLOGYNETWORK.COM

Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Message: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Author: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Subject:
From:
Donald English <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Pharmaceutical Microbiology Forum Email List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2018 20:07:52 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (188 lines)
Dear Destin,

I would suspect that a wet swab would be able to obtain a greater number of
organisms from a surface in comparison to the usage of a dry swab.  In
addition,
you can use sanitizer/disinfectant neutralizers in the diluent that is used
to wet a swab for sampling a surface that has been treated.in case there is
sanitizer/disinfectant
residues that could be present on the surface that is going to be sampled.

Regards,
Don

Consultant
Donald J. English Microbiological Quality Consulting LLC
Florham Park, New Jersey 07932
1-732-205-3072

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 4:20 PM Martin Easter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> There is a great review article  by Moore and Griffith (2007)  J Applied
> Microbiology vol 103,  1090 -1103.
>
> Also the late Scott Sutton made a great article plate counting and
> inaccuracy. J of validation technology ( summer 2011 vol 17 (3) 42 - 46
>
> Attempting to enumerate low numbers of microbes from surface will give a
> highly variable result and generally a dry swab on a dry surface offers
> even less accuracy.
>
>
> Martin Easter
> Chief Scientific Officer
> Hygiena
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: The Pharmaceutical Microbiology Forum Email List <
> [log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Destin LeBlanc
> Sent: 13 November 2018 11:16
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [PMFLIST] Dry vs. wet swab for surface sampling
>
> Can I obtain input on the pro's and con's of a dry swab as compared to a
> wet swab for surface sampling for bioburden?
>
> Regards,
>
> Destin A. LeBlanc
>
> ------------------
> The PMFList (
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmicrobiologynetwork.com%2Fpmflist.asp&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cmartin%40HYGIENA.COM%7C92eba63c3c014e3ff5e708d649652bab%7C4d60e71c841e4e6f921234f4c38642e4%7C1%7C1%7C636777096205548141&amp;sdata=6HfxoM7aPnzwFnQawniMCKvTC%2FCNo4oz1KFcM90wXh8%3D&amp;reserved=0)
> is operated from The Microbiology Network (
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmicrobiologynetwork.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cmartin%40HYGIENA.COM%7C92eba63c3c014e3ff5e708d649652bab%7C4d60e71c841e4e6f921234f4c38642e4%7C1%7C1%7C636777096205548141&amp;sdata=d4UIrX4rzLcMtBHXFsQfo3qQDdF4PkVrAsgPUbKn%2BI0%3D&amp;reserved=0)
> and supported by our sponsors as a service to the scientific community.
>
> Please take a second to visit our sponsors' web sites and say thank you
> for their support of this service.
> If your company would be interested in sponsoring this community, please
> contact [log in to unmask]
>
>
>
> Science Advisory Board
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scienceboard.net%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cmartin%40HYGIENA.COM%7C92eba63c3c014e3ff5e708d649652bab%7C4d60e71c841e4e6f921234f4c38642e4%7C1%7C1%7C636777096205558146&amp;sdata=oH7MdfmSRq55vC00QUKzXPqhHyAPeO6RkshJLgd1nIA%3D&amp;reserved=0
>
> Sartorius
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpromotions.sartorius.com%2Freal-heroes&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cmartin%40HYGIENA.COM%7C92eba63c3c014e3ff5e708d649652bab%7C4d60e71c841e4e6f921234f4c38642e4%7C1%7C1%7C636777096205558146&amp;sdata=r99TcL8SYOOv6BqK5pnwAaXej2sTwRJVeBrHhboDR4g%3D&amp;reserved=0
>
> Steris -
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sterislifesciences.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cmartin%40HYGIENA.COM%7C92eba63c3c014e3ff5e708d649652bab%7C4d60e71c841e4e6f921234f4c38642e4%7C1%7C1%7C636777096205558146&amp;sdata=7AC07s8UVUlgTHpvFfBHKRxAaSR3vqmj4fNy%2FSoNTrE%3D&amp;reserved=0
>
> Avista Pharma Solutions
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.avistapharma.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cmartin%40HYGIENA.COM%7C92eba63c3c014e3ff5e708d649652bab%7C4d60e71c841e4e6f921234f4c38642e4%7C1%7C1%7C636777096205558146&amp;sdata=paBfg%2FmkGX3mKzlk6esOF8TaD1fpUe0qcyu%2BluZtTf0%3D&amp;reserved=0
>
> MilliporeSigma
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.emdmillipore.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cmartin%40HYGIENA.COM%7C92eba63c3c014e3ff5e708d649652bab%7C4d60e71c841e4e6f921234f4c38642e4%7C1%7C1%7C636777096205558146&amp;sdata=z%2BUl1kn641klnJxnG8peCRT6%2F58zbnpHj3Z21b653q8%3D&amp;reserved=0
>
> Charles River Laboratories -
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.criver.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cmartin%40HYGIENA.COM%7C92eba63c3c014e3ff5e708d649652bab%7C4d60e71c841e4e6f921234f4c38642e4%7C1%7C1%7C636777096205558146&amp;sdata=ifZ60ycRmSBZ74ho1mDXcx46E3KvmpNxPEppaDRv7yg%3D&amp;reserved=0
>
> Veltek Associates, Inc -
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sterile.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cmartin%40HYGIENA.COM%7C92eba63c3c014e3ff5e708d649652bab%7C4d60e71c841e4e6f921234f4c38642e4%7C1%7C1%7C636777096205558146&amp;sdata=XiNWKMbnV4c4IT61GAetXy65niVe9YC3uI2%2FjK6xca0%3D&amp;reserved=0
>
> Microbiologics, Inc. -
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.microbiologics.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cmartin%40HYGIENA.COM%7C92eba63c3c014e3ff5e708d649652bab%7C4d60e71c841e4e6f921234f4c38642e4%7C1%7C1%7C636777096205558146&amp;sdata=J4hP7aA4rVgwfWq4P3hiMCC%2F6fqoAyjg5FoktYQegfA%3D&amp;reserved=0
>
> Nelson Labs -
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nelsonlabs.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cmartin%40HYGIENA.COM%7C92eba63c3c014e3ff5e708d649652bab%7C4d60e71c841e4e6f921234f4c38642e4%7C1%7C0%7C636777096205558146&amp;sdata=6kkY05wOOrzCenuK6AxXSf%2FeAo8gBrBcPHgRt1HlSBw%3D&amp;reserved=0
>
> BD Diagnostic Systems -
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bd.com%2Fds%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cmartin%40HYGIENA.COM%7C92eba63c3c014e3ff5e708d649652bab%7C4d60e71c841e4e6f921234f4c38642e4%7C1%7C0%7C636777096205558146&amp;sdata=fmX7wJvijzOWCRh6D%2BcF%2BoLjLVm6%2BcnkZf4veO10ztQ%3D&amp;reserved=0
>
> Boston Analytical
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bostonanalytical.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cmartin%40HYGIENA.COM%7C92eba63c3c014e3ff5e708d649652bab%7C4d60e71c841e4e6f921234f4c38642e4%7C1%7C0%7C636777096205558146&amp;sdata=pzzj1MLeI0k%2BKsPuwXZejyINzmNmanomHkdcCx5M8gw%3D&amp;reserved=0
>
> Associates of Cape Cod, Inc. -
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.acciusa.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cmartin%40HYGIENA.COM%7C92eba63c3c014e3ff5e708d649652bab%7C4d60e71c841e4e6f921234f4c38642e4%7C1%7C0%7C636777096205558146&amp;sdata=Zteuba8Vfl5WXUoA4wXVuSwaRlbgtvnM9%2BEuWsem9JA%3D&amp;reserved=0
>
>
> =================================
> The nature of this service is to provide a medium for communication.  The
> specific statements and endorsements of individuals participating in the
> discussions are not necessarily those of The Microbiology Network, Inc.,
> the PMF, or the sponsors of the list.
>
> ------------------
> The PMFList (http://microbiologynetwork.com/pmflist.asp) is operated from
> The Microbiology Network (http://microbiologynetwork.com) and supported by
> our sponsors as a service to the scientific community.
>
> Please take a second to visit our sponsors' web sites and say thank you
> for their support of this service.
> If your company would be interested in sponsoring this community, please
> contact [log in to unmask]
>
>
>
> Science Advisory Board https://www.scienceboard.net/
>
> Sartorius https://promotions.sartorius.com/real-heroes
>
> Steris - http://www.sterislifesciences.com/
>
> Avista Pharma Solutions  http://www.avistapharma.com
>
> MilliporeSigma  http://www.emdmillipore.com/
>
> Charles River Laboratories - http://www.criver.com/
>
> Veltek Associates, Inc - http://www.sterile.com
>
> Microbiologics, Inc. - http://www.microbiologics.com
>
> Nelson Labs - http://www.nelsonlabs.com
>
> BD Diagnostic Systems - http://www.bd.com/ds/
>
> Boston Analytical http://www.bostonanalytical.com/
>
> Associates of Cape Cod, Inc. - http://www.acciusa.com/
>
>
> =================================
> The nature of this service is to provide a medium for communication.  The
> specific statements and endorsements of individuals participating in the
> discussions are not necessarily those of The Microbiology Network, Inc.,
> the PMF, or the sponsors of the list.
>

------------------
The PMFList (http://microbiologynetwork.com/pmflist.asp) is operated from
The Microbiology Network (http://microbiologynetwork.com) and supported by
our sponsors as a service to the scientific community.

Please take a second to visit our sponsors' web sites and say thank you for their support of this service.
If your company would be interested in sponsoring this community, please contact [log in to unmask]



Science Advisory Board https://www.scienceboard.net/

Sartorius https://promotions.sartorius.com/real-heroes

Steris - http://www.sterislifesciences.com/

Avista Pharma Solutions  http://www.avistapharma.com

MilliporeSigma  http://www.emdmillipore.com/

Charles River Laboratories - http://www.criver.com/

Veltek Associates, Inc - http://www.sterile.com

Microbiologics, Inc. - http://www.microbiologics.com

Nelson Labs - http://www.nelsonlabs.com

BD Diagnostic Systems - http://www.bd.com/ds/

Boston Analytical http://www.bostonanalytical.com/

Associates of Cape Cod, Inc. - http://www.acciusa.com/


=================================
The nature of this service is to provide a medium for communication.  The specific statements and endorsements of individuals participating in the discussions are not necessarily those of The Microbiology Network, Inc., the PMF, or the sponsors of the list.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2